London firefighters have issued an urgent warning after a spike in apartment fires caused by e-bikes. The warning comes after a flat fire on Lambert Road in Brixton Hill on Tuesday caused severe damage to the second floor of the terraced house.
Fortunately, no one got hurt. Two fire engines and a dozen firefighters were needed to put out the fire, which lasted nearly 45 minutes. London firefighters said the cause of the fire was faulty lithium-ion batteries for an e-bike.
An LFB spokesperson said: “E-bikes and e-scooters are often stored and charged in escape routes from homes or common areas. So when a fire occurs, escape routes are blocked, which immediately makes an already dire situation that much scarier for those involved, so please be aware of where you are storing them.
READ MORE: Acton Town fire: ‘Apocalyptic’ damage revealed after blaze tore through garage and left London Underground passengers fleeing
“Many of the fires we observe involve batteries that have been found on the internet, which may not meet the correct safety standards.
“We know that lithium-ion batteries are prone to failure if incorrect chargers are used, so it’s important to always use the correct charger for the product and buy an official one from a reputable seller.”
They added: “Batteries can also pose a risk if they have been damaged, so try to ensure they are not knocked over during use or when being transported as spares, as this can increase the risk. damage the cells. You should also not expose them to extreme temperatures.
“You should always make sure to unplug your charger after charging is complete. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when charging and we advise not to leave it unattended or while people are sleeping.
Do you want to stay up to date with the latest news, views, features, and opinions from across the city?
MyLondon The 12’s brilliant newsletter is full of all the latest news to keep you entertained, informed and motivated.
You’ll receive 12 stories straight to your inbox around noon. It’s the perfect lunchtime read.
And what’s more, it’s FREE!
The MyLondon team tell London stories for Londoners. Our reporters cover all the news you need – from City Hall to your local streets, so you never miss a moment.
Don’t skip a beat and sign up for The 12 newsletter here.
The LFB has published safety advice for anyone who owns an e-bike:
Always use the correct charger for the product and buy an official one from a reputable seller.
Batteries can get hot during use and it is advisable to allow them to cool before attempting to recharge them as they may be more susceptible to failure.
Batteries should always be charged on hard, flat surfaces where heat can dissipate.
Batteries can also pose a risk if they have been damaged, so try to ensure they are not knocked over during use or when being transported as spares, as this can increase the risk of cell damage .
You should always make sure to unplug your charger after charging is complete. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when charging and we advise not to leave it unattended or while people are sleeping.
Ensure smoke detectors are installed in areas where e-bikes or e-scooters are charged and ensure they are tested regularly.
Never block your escape route with anything, including bicycles and scooters. Store them somewhere away from a main route.
Want more MyLondon? Sign up to our daily newsletters for all the latest and greatest from London here.